Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kindred Spirit


on my bedside


Tess loved Anne of Green Gables and so do I. We used to watch it every summer. I haven't seen it in almost 11 years. I think I'm ready to watch it.


Thanks A for sharing this note from Tess. I remember writing it
in the hospital. Her thoughts but my writing. It makes me think of
how thoughtful she was. Not just to me but everyone she cared for and loved.

...



Happy 31st Birthday Tess!

I found a box full of surprises in my old room, which is now our room, since all our stuff is mixed together. Fiona loves that room! There's so much great junk to discover or in my case, revisit. Dad always let's Fiona play with your Beanie Babies that are in mint condition. Some of them even have tag protectors. Remember that?

Anyhow, as I thumbed through the top drawer of your vanity dresser, I found this old checkbook box that you decoupaged wedding bells on. You were so ahead of your time dear sister. And on it, it read (with your own handwriting): Anne of Green Gables. I knew there would have to be something neat inside. And I was right. You were such a hardcore fanatic when it came to Anne paraphernalia. I remember you ordered these stamps from that Avonlea catalog from Canada. One day, I plan to visit P.E.I.(Prince Edward Island) before I die. One day. As for the the box of goodies, I decided to take it home with me. I promise to take good care of it and use it with a creative purpose. I miss you a lot. I miss those simple things that we used to do like watching old movies on the A&E channel.

See you in my dreams.

ps. Fiona is approaching her "terrible-terrific two's"! She's a handful. She is hilarious, that niece of yours.

pss. Mom's taking the entire day off to celebrate your day. We'll be hanging out eating mint chocolate chip ice cream and cupcakes!

psss. I really want to watch My Sister's Keeper. I know I'll be a wreck. But I do need a good cry.

Love your sissy,
Jeanette

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Nette,
You are so inspiring. When I grow up, I want to be like you. Really. Seeing the Anne of Green Gables stamps and the box that Tess made took my breath away. What a very very very special rediscovery. And your scrapbooking pages about Tess - so sweet and inspiring. I love your trademark :) Thanks for sharing such a special and private story. Happy Birthday Tess. I will be thinking of you, Tess, your parents, sister bonds and Anne of Green Gables all day today.

Lovebug said...

happy 31st birthday, tess! your sister misses you so much. she tells wonderful stories about you -we end uip laughing and smiling and crying...it's good to remember. she thinks about you all the time and i'm so blessed that she shares those moments with me. i'll eat chocolate chip ice cream to celebrate! <3

wena said...

nette, i am bawling...this is so moving & heartfelt. i'm so thankful i was graced with her presence in my life...her little treasures are so sweet,and you are right - she was ahead of her time, ahead of the trend. i love the sweet scrapbook pages celebrating her life.

happy birthday tess! you always had the most meticulous projects (even moreso than your sister) and i know she was inspired, and continues to be, inspired by you. we all love & miss you dearly.

my cup-a-joe! said...

Happy Birthday Tess! :)
Nette, what a sweet letter...such a sweet post. I'm at a loss for words -- this post was very touching and moving...its very endearing. As much as my memory escapes me, I remember that photo of Tess. :) Thank you for sharing this special time...