Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Magnum Opus





I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web written by E.B. White to my third grade class. It's my sixth or seventh time reading it, but who's counting? I remember doing a 8-10 page paper in my Children's Literature class. And boy, did we dissect every page, from symbolism to quotes, and even various overarching themes. But every time I read it, new students bring in a whole new experience.

As for myself, I do notice that I'm much more emotional this time around. I guess I'm reading it with a different pair of eyes. I'm reading it from a mother's perspective. Wow! And there's a snippet from chapter 19 that made me realize that Fiona's the finest thing I've ever made.

"What is that nifty little thing? Did you make it?"

"I did indeed," replied Charlotte in a weak voice.

"Is it a plaything?"

"Plaything? I should say not. It is my egg sac, my magnum opus."

"I don't know what a magnum opus is," said Wilbur.

"That's Latin," explained Charlotte. "It means 'great work.' This egg sac is my great work-the finest thing I have ever made."

2 comments:

SherE1 said...

SOMETHING is going on with me today (PMS-ing perhaps - hehe!) because THAT almost made me tear up. And when my co-worker was letting me watch a video of her 5 MO cracking up on her i-pod this morning, I almost started tearing up from just how wonderful a baby's laugh sounds. Way too emotional today!

Silly Acorn said...

Charlotte's Web is one of my all time favorites. Such a poignant and sentimental passage...