Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It Takes One To Know One

Today my mom and grandma came over to visit Fiona (and me, I guess). But I know, it's mostly Fiona. My mom eats, breathes, and lives for this girl. I never knew my mom could be so affectionate and playful. I guess that's the side that grand kids bring out because I've never seen it growing up. My mom's just so matter of fact.

Well, as we were talking, she was making sure I did things a "certain" way with Fiona. Just giving me old school Filipino advice. Of course, I nodded, and said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah mom. I got it. Don't worry." But I do understand why she's so overprotective. She's been through quite a bit, loosing two daughters already. Now there's just me.

I had another sister before me named Christine. She died when she was just baby. And I caught my mom saying how Fiona has Christine's complexion and some similar facial expressions. Weird, huh? It's amazing how she remembers the smallest details even though her short term memory is awful. Seriously, I learn something new everyday.

The visit was brief (about an hour and a half) and they darted off back home.
But as my mom was leaving, she whispered , "You're a good mother, anak." My eyes started to well up and you can imagine the rest. It was the most sincere compliment I've ever received from her.

2 comments:

Lovebug said...

i'm BAWLING! i forgot to give you "The Oracles" last night when you were over...that was such an Oracles moment! You'll see, we can totally relate. I can't wait for you to read it, mare!

SherE1 said...

Talk about eyes welling up! Girl... that's a big deal. Especially for our old-school filipino moms. It's not everyday that they dish out the compliments or talk FEELINGS. That is awesome. You ARE a great mom. And your mom is wonderful, too!