Monday, June 2, 2008

Here's to June

It's no wonder things have been poppin' in my head lately about my dear sister Tess. Even songs and movies would randomly be on. A ton of our favorites. It's like a blast from the past. Eerie yet comforting. You know, her birthday is on the 23rd of June and she would've been 3o years old. Unbelievable. It's been almost ten years since she passed. Some days it feels like yesterday and sometimes it feels like forever.

On Friday, I was driving home on the 125 freeway (a very scenic and relaxing route) listening to 90.7, a classical channel, and heard Puccini. It was from the movie A Room With A View. It took me back to her room and to the same spot where I laid next to her feet while we were both laughing at the naked scene. I remember us trying to cover our eyes but still peeking. Things like this keep my heart warm and fuzzy. And I know that these memories will always be with me, tucked away, until one day, it reveals itself.

Another eerie thing happened this weekend. I ran into one of the RTs (respiratory therapist)from Balboa Naval Hospital who had a special relationship with Tess and our family. I spotted Gwen at Pier 1 Imports. I knew it was her and tried to make eye contact. But I don't think she recognized me. Maybe it's because I've put on a pound or two or ten? So anyway, I left the store and walked on to Henry's Market. But the thought was still nagging at me. I wanted to approach her so badly. And then Farley commented, "You should just go up to her, you might not ever see her again." So I did. I went back into the store and said, "You may not remember me but you took care of my sister." And Gwen replied, "Maritess!" We both hugged each other like old friends would and tears just came rushing. So did the memories.

2 comments:

SherE1 said...

Good for you for going back to say hi to her! I always regret when I let my shyness get the best of me.

Great memories of you sister. I cannot even begin to imagine how much you miss her. Looks like she's reminding you that her birthday is coming up. =)

Thanks, again, for breakfast yesterday! That was so much fun! I'll have to upload the photos tonight so I can brag about your awesomeness tomorrow!

Lovebug said...

i will forever be reminded of tess whenever i eat mint chocolate chip ice cream! she sure has a way of saying hello, doesn't she? remember when far was at the airport and the lady who helped him was named tess? and what about last christmas when you said her ornament fell off the tree...without even breaking!